Apply for Enrollment today!
RM Prep Enrollment FAQs
1) How do I enroll my child at Rocky Mount Prep?
-Visit our website at www.rmprep.org.
-Click “Application Process” towards the top center of the screen.
-Click “Apply for the 2020-2021 School Year” under Enrollment Process
-Complete the required fields of the application and click “Submit.”
2) How old does my child have to be to apply for kindergarten at Rocky Mount Prep?
North Carolina requires all children to be 5 years old on or before August 31st in order to begin kindergarten.
3) When can I submit an application?
Applications for the upcoming school year are available online starting February 10, 2020. Applications must be received by March 31, 2020 to be entered in the lottery drawing for available seats.
4) I don’t have a computer or internet access. May I pick up a paper application?
We do not have paper applications. For your convenience, you may stop by the school to be assisted with completing an online application using one of our devices.
5) Why is there a lottery? What does this mean?
As a Charter School, we are required to use a lottery system to randomly select students to fill our vacant seats whenever we receive more applications than available seating in our school. This means after you submit your application, a computerized system will randomly choose who gets accepted according to the number of vacant seats we have at that time.
6) What if I submit my application after March 31, 2020?
If you submit an application after the March 31, 2020 lottery deadline, your application will not be entered into the lottery drawing but your application will be placed on our waiting list.
7) When is the last day to submit an application?
Applications are accepted until the 20th day of the new school year.
8) I submitted an application. What do I need to do next?
No additional documentation is needed after the application is submitted, until you have received an acceptance offer. We require a copy of your child’s birth certificate (mother’s copies are not acceptable), and proof of address (must be a NC address). Students enrolling in Kindergarten will need an updated shot record and physical. Students enrolling in 7th grade will need an updated shot record but no physical is necessary to enroll. Students that have never been enrolled in a public school within NC, no matter what grade, will need an updated shot record as well. We will inform you when to bring those documents in.
9) I already submitted an application last year and was placed on the waiting list. Do I have to do another application this year?
Yes, you must submit a new application each school year. Previous applications will not carry over into the next school year.
10) When will I know if my child was accepted?
The lottery will be held at Rocky Mount Prep on April 8, 2020 at 4:30 PM. This lottery is open to the public. If you are present you will be able to obtain your child’s status that evening. If not, you will be contacted via email.
11) My child was placed on the waiting list. How long will it be before they get accepted?
Your child will remain on the waiting list until the following 2 things occur: (1) they have reached the top of the waiting list and (2) there is an opening for his/her grade level. If your child does not reach the top of the waiting list and there is no opening by the 20th day of school, you are welcome to reapply during the next open enrollment period.
12) How often should I contact the school about my child’s application status?
Due to the high volume of applications received, it is not necessary to contact the school about your child’s application status. You will be notified if your child was accepted or placed on the waiting list. We will not be able to update you each time your child’s name moves up on the waiting list but rest assured that you will be contacted once your child has reached the top of the waiting list and is being offered a seat.
13) I already have one child attending RM Prep. Does that mean that my other child(ren) will be accepted automatically?
It does not mean that your child(ren) will be accepted automatically, however, siblings do have priority over other applicants and are moved to the top of the waiting list for the grade that was applied for.
14) My neice/nephew attends RM Prep. Can my child(ren) move up the waiting list since they are family?
No, you will not be moved up the waiting list for any reason other than having other siblings already enrolled or being the child of a staff/board member. Other family members will not improve your chances of being accepted.
15) I have custody of my neice/nephew/grandchild/etc. and my own children already attend RM Prep. Are they considered siblings?
The law defines a sibling to include “half siblings, step-siblings, and children residing in a foster family home. Legal documentation will be required.
16) I have 3 children. Can I just submit one application?
No, a separate application must be submitted for each child (except multiple births, i.e twins).
17) I have twins. Do I need to a complete an application for each of them?
No, you only need to submit one application for twins, triplets, etc., as long as they are in the same grade. If one twin is applying for 3rd grade and the other for 4th grade, separate applications must be submitted.
18) I am planning to move to North Carolina. Can I apply now, even though I haven’t moved there yet?
No, it is required that all applications accepted by NC charter schools be from parents/legal guardians who are currently legal residents of NC. Proof of residency will be required.
19) How much does it cost to attend RM Prep?
RM Prep is a tuition free charter school.
20) What is a charter school?
A charter school is an independently run public school granted greater flexibility in its operations, in return for greater accountability for performance.
21) My question is not on this list. Who can I contact?
You may contact the school at 252.443.9923 for additional assistance. Our Student Information Data Manager, Mrs. Nisha Gonzalez, oversees the enrollment process.