Enroll for the 2021-22 School Year
Rocky Mount Prep is a tuition-free public charter school, and is open to all residents of North Carolina. Families can enroll their child through SchoolMint, the official enrollment system for Rocky Mount Prep.
As a free public school open to all students, Rocky Mount Prep does not collect application fees, and does not consider test scores, student grades, or any other information for enrollment. We are not a private or magnet school but an exceptional public charter school, serving all students of all abilities.
Rocky Mount Prep is a tuition-free public charter school, accepting students throughout North Carolina. Rocky Mount Prep families enroll using the online enrollment system called SchoolMint.
Create an account and "Family Profile".
Complete and submit the application for each student you wish to enroll.
Frequently Asked Questions
1) How old does my child have to be to apply for kindergarten at Rocky Mount Prep?
North Carolina requires all children to be 5 years old on or before August 31st in order to begin kindergarten.
2) When can I submit an application?
Applications for the upcoming school year are available online starting January 1, 2021. Applications must be received by February 28, 2021 to be entered in the lottery drawing for available seats.
3) I don’t have a computer or internet access. May I pick up a paper application?
For your convenience, we have paper applications available at our Administrative Building. Due to COVID-19 regulations, please call our main office at 252-443-9923 to request a paper application. You will be advised when it is feasible to come to our campus to pick up an application.
4) Why is there a lottery? What does this mean?
As a Charter School, we are required to use a lottery system to randomly select students to fill our vacant seats whenever we receive more applications than available seating in our school. This means after you submit your application, a computerized system will randomly choose who gets accepted according to the number of vacant seats we have at that time.
5) What if I submit my application after February 28, 2021?
If you submit an application after the February 28, 2021 lottery deadline, your application will not be entered into the lottery drawing but your application will be placed on our waiting list.
6) When is the last day to submit an application?
Applications are accepted until the 20th day of the new school year.
7) I submitted an application. What do I need to do next?
No additional documentation is needed after the application is submitted, until you have received an acceptance offer. We require a copy of your child’s birth certificate (mother’s copies are not acceptable), and proof of address (must be a NC address). Students enrolling in Kindergarten will need an updated shot record and physical. Students enrolling in 7th grade will need an updated shot record but no physical is necessary to enroll. Students that have never been enrolled in a public school within NC, no matter what grade, will need an updated shot record as well. We will inform you when to bring those documents in.
8) I already submitted an application last year and was placed on the waiting list. Do I have to do another application this year?
Yes, you must submit a new application each school year. Previous applications will not carry over into the next school year.
9) When will I know if my child was accepted?
The lottery will be held at Rocky Mount Prep on March 11, 2021 at 5:00 PM. This lottery is open to the public. If you are present you will be able to obtain your child’s status that evening. If not, you will be contacted via email.
10) My child was placed on the waiting list. How long will it be before they get accepted?
Your child will remain on the waiting list until the following 2 things occur: (1) they have reached the top of the waiting list and (2) there is an opening for his/her grade level. If your child does not reach the top of the waiting list and there is no opening by the 20th day of school, you are welcome to reapply during the next open enrollment period.
11) How often should I contact the school about my child’s application status?
Due to the high volume of applications received, it is not necessary to contact the school about your child’s application status. You will be notified if your child was accepted or placed on the waiting list. We will not be able to update you each time your child’s name moves up on the waiting list but rest assured that you will be contacted once your child has reached the top of the waiting list and is being offered a seat.
12) I already have one child attending RM Prep. Does that mean that my other child(ren) will be accepted automatically?
It does not mean that your child(ren) will be accepted automatically, however, siblings do have priority over other applicants and are moved to the top of the waiting list for the grade that was applied for.
13) My niece/nephew attends RM Prep. Can my child(ren) move up the waiting list since they are family?
No, you will not be moved up the waiting list for any reason other than having other siblings already enrolled or being the child of a staff/board member. Other family members will not improve your chances of being accepted.
14) I have custody of my niece/nephew/grandchild/etc. and my own children already attend RM Prep. Are they considered siblings?
The law defines a sibling to include “half siblings, step-siblings, and children residing in a foster family home. Legal documentation will be required.
15) I have 3 children. Can I just submit one application?
No, a separate application must be submitted for each child (except multiple births, i.e twins).
16) I have twins. Do I need to a complete an application for each of them?
No, you only need to submit one application for twins, triplets, etc., as long as they are in the same grade. If one twin is applying for 3rd grade and the other for 4th grade, separate applications must be submitted.
17) I am planning to move to North Carolina. Can I apply now, even though I haven’t moved there yet?
No, it is required that all applications accepted by NC charter schools be from parents/legal guardians who are currently legal residents of NC. Proof of residency will be required.
18) How much does it cost to attend RM Prep?
RM Prep is a tuition free charter school.
19) What is a charter school?
A charter school is an independently run public school granted greater flexibility in its operations, in return for greater accountability for performance.
20) My question is not on this list. Who can I contact?
You may contact the school at 252.443.9923 for additional assistance.